You can customize your roof’s color to complement your exterior’s design perfectly. With a wide variety of attractive dimensional colors and styles available in today’s asphalt roofing shingles, you’re sure to find the perfect look for your home’s exterior.
The higher your roof pitch, the more your roof shingles will be seen from the street. Pair your home’s architecture with the perfect shingle color. Your roof accounts for a significant portion of your home’s looks. Draw the eye upward to highlight accents like dormers.
Read on to learn the basics about picking the optimal shingle color to heighten your home’s design.
Get the Perfect Roof Shingle Color for Your Home’s Exterior
1. Take note of the popular hues in your neighborhood
Drive or walk around your neighborhood and notice the roofs you love. Find a home with a similar roof pitch, and you’ll get an accurate sense of how your shingle color will look in the daylight. Make a note of your favorite roof colors.
Next, drive around neighborhoods near yours and solidify your list of favorites. Ask your roofing contractor for some homes they recommend you see—so you can view their shingles at different times of day and in different weather conditions.
2. Pick your favorite colors from the brochures your contractor gives you
You can begin roof shingle shopping right from the comfort of your own home. Take a careful look at all the brochures your contractor supplies you with, and look online at the roof shingle supplier’s website. Look at gallery pictures of homes like yours, and note their shingle color.
3. Ask for samples of the shingle colors you like best so you can see them outside your home in the sunlight
Take samples of your favorite shingle colors and hold them up against your brick, stucco, or fiber cement-covered home. Do the shingle hues coordinate or clash? How do they look with your landscaping?
4. Test your favorite shingle colors in full sunlight and at dusk
Understand that roof shingles can have a chameleon effect. When they are matched with one color, they look one way. When paired with another hue, they take on a different look. Just like you test exterior paint colors at different times of day, your new roof shingles should complement your home exterior in full sunlight and at dusk.
Move your shingle samples around your home exterior and look at them throughout the day. Observe them from a couple of feet away and from across the street. Next, look at them from your backyard and side yard. Take your time when deciding which roof shingle color to choose for your upcoming roof replacement.
5. Visit model homes in your area
Explore today’s popular shingle colors and styles by visiting new neighborhoods in your area. Discover the popular Owens Corning Roof Shingle Colors in your area.
6. Don’t limit yourself to your current roof’s color
A new roof is a significant investment, so take the opportunity to maximize your home’s curb appeal by choosing the optimal roof shingle color and style. Your home’s aesthetics will reflect the care you took in making the decision, and you’ll enjoy the results for the lifespan of your asphalt shingles (about 20-30 years!).
7. Consider high-contrast designer roof shingles
Express your style with anything from bold dimensional hues to subtle classic tones on your roofing shingles. Owens Corning always has a shingle color of the year worth exploring. The 2023 color of the year is Midnight Plum. This inviting hue is distinctive yet versatile and up-to-the-minute in style.
8. Weigh your best options: architectural shingles in designer colors, or luxury shingles with a premium look
Ask your roofing contractor for estimates on a variety of shingle types, styles, and colors. Weigh the look and durability of your favorite shingle options against their overall cost.
- 3-tab – These traditional shingles are the most basic of the three asphalt shingle types.
- Dimensional – These are also called architectural shingles and are the most popular type.
- Luxury – These are referred to as designer shingles and create a premium look.
You may also want to consider what your options are if you intend to add solar panels to your roof.
9. Learn which roof shingle colors complement your home’s looks
House color roof shingle color
- Red: Dark Brown, Black, Grey, Green
- Light Grey: Grey, Black, Green, Blue, White
- Cream: Brown, Black, Grey, Green, Blue
- Brown: Grey, Brown, Green, Blue
- White: Brown, Grey, Black, Green, Blue, White
- Weathered Wood: Brown, Green, Black, Grey
10. Try your new shingles on your home with convenience
In the convenience of your own home, you can try different roofing options on your exterior to see which ones you love. Use Owens Corning’s Design EyeQ® Visualizer Tool, and get a feel for how your favorite roofing options will complement your exterior.
12. If you don’t have a final color choice you feel confident in, seek out a home designer
Getting a second opinion from a designer with a skilled eye is always an option. They’ll help you tie together your siding, trim, door, and roof colors.
Protect Your Pennsylvania Home with a Gorgeous New Roof
At Preferred Home Improvements, we’re an Owens Corning Preferred Contractor. This exclusive network meets strict standards for professionalism, reliability, and unparalleled craftsmanship. We have offered quality roofing since 1985, guaranteeing all of our work.
We understand that installing a new roof is one of the most significant investments you’ll make as a homeowner, and that’s why we only use premium materials to give your roof the highest level of protection. You’ll love our asphalt shingle and metal roofing options. Learn more about our roof replacement services.