Preparing for your upcoming siding replacement does not have to be overwhelming. Whether you are a seasoned pro or a first-timer, it is essential to understand what the entire renovation process will look like for you. From selecting your perfect contractor to prepping your home for an upgrade, each detail is crucial for your successful siding installation.
The more you know, the easier it will be! Read on and discover the ins and outs of how to prepare for your exciting new siding replacement.
Preparing Your Life for Construction
When you begin your siding replacement, a good contractor will equip you for the changes taking place that affect the inside and outside of your home.
Here are a few things to be aware of that can help you prepare. Knowing what construction looks like will help manage your expectations while your siding is getting replaced.
- Prep Your Yard: Excess trees and shrubbery near your home could create unnecessary obstacles for your contractor to maneuver around during your siding replacement process. Streamline your installation by trimming your shrubs, cutting your grass, and removing excess tree limbs to make the construction site easier to access for your contractor. If you have a garden, flower bed, or any other outdoor areas you want to remain debris free, cover them with a tarp to provide adequate protection.
These proactive steps will make it convenient for workers to clean up loose nails and staples with their magnetic nail finder after your siding is installed.
- Clean up Outdoor Areas: Clear your yard of any outdoor furnishings, yard equipment, or potted plants. Temporarily relocating them during construction will accelerate the installation timeline.
- Make Room for a Dumpster: During your installation process, you may need to make alternative parking arrangements for your car. A dumpster will be placed near your home to discard your old siding scraps and debris.
- Remove Fragile Household Items: As construction begins on your siding, there will be plenty of movement that may cause your walls to shake. Remove anything fragile from your walls and shelves that could be knocked over due to construction.
- Plan for Temporary Daytime Relocation: Construction on your siding replacement will generate a lot of noise. It is vital to ensure your children and pets are clear of the construction zone. Make arrangements for your young children and pets to be cared for away from home while the installation crew is replacing your siding. If you work remotely, consider temporarily relocating your office environment.
- Shut Off Outdoor Power: To ensure safety precautions are being taken, exterior electricity may need to be shut off.
Getting both the exterior and the interior of your home ready will make your siding replacement process much smoother. Your installers will appreciate your foresight and preparation.
Understanding the Siding Installation Process
Knowing the construction timeline will help you manage your expectations and make your experience a pleasant one.
The siding replacement timeline
- Removal of Your Old Siding: Tearing down the original siding is the first step toward replacement. During this process, your professional contractor will inspect for any potential hidden damages and repair them accordingly.
- Wall Preparation: Now that your old siding has officially been removed, the foundation for the new siding relies on the wall beneath. Ensuring it is in tip-top shape will pave the way for your new siding’s installation.
- Insulation Installation: Upon the removal of your old siding, your contractor will ensure your home is sufficiently insulated.
- New Siding Installation: The last step is putting up your replacement siding!
In total, the siding replacement process ranges from 7-14 days, from demolition to assembling your new siding. One of the most important things to remember when you are preparing for your siding replacement is that no two homes are the same. Every home will vary due to its size, height, and surrounding terrain, which could affect the timeline. Your contractor should address expectations and answer your questions at the outset of your project.
Ready for Your Siding Replacement?
Transforming your house into a beautiful home does not have to be intimidating. Now that you are armed with this knowledge, you can sit back and relax, knowing you are ready for a stress-free experience.
If you have any questions about siding replacement, Preferred Home Improvement’s hardworking team of experienced professionals are ready to guide you every step of the way!
Take a moment to discover more siding replacement options, and let us help you turn your home improvement dreams into reality.